The following is a selected bibliography of published work relating to acute phase proteins. Additionally the European Colloquium on Animal Acute Phase Proteins can be found by following the links above.
1. Alsemgeest S.P.M., Taverne M.A.M., Boosman R., Vanderweyden B.C. and Gruys E. (1993) Peripartum acute-phase protein serum amyloid-A concentration in plasma of cows and fetuses. American Journal Of Veterinary Research, 54:164-167.
2. Andersson M, Sevelius E. (2001) Abnormal microheterogeneity of haptoglobin in serum from dogs with various diseases. (Animal Hospital of Helsingborg, Small Animal Clinic, Sweden.) Vet Rec 2001 Jan
3. Biran H et al (1986) Serum amyloid A variations in patients with cancer: correlation with disease activity, stage, primary site, and prognosis. J.Clin Pathol 39 794-797
4. Brandwein, S.R. et al. (1984) . Serum amyloid A protein concentration in progressive systemic sclerosis (Scleroderma). Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases 43:586-589
5. Abate O, Zanatta R, Malisano T, Dotta U. (2000) Canine serum protein patterns using high-resolution electrophoresis (HRE) . (Department of Animal Pathology, Division of Medicine, University of Turin, via Nizza 52, Turin, 10126, Italy.) Vet J 2000 Mar
6. Casl T et al (1995) Serum amyloid A protein monitoring for early predicition of kidney allograft rejection. Nephron 70 112-113
7. Casl, M.T. et al. (1995) . Serum amyloid A protein in patients with acute myocardial infarction. Ann. Clin. Chem. Biochem. 32:196-200
8. Chambers, R.E. et al. (1991) . Comparative study of C reactive protein and serum amyloid A protein in experimental inflammation. Annals of the Rheumatic Diseases, 50:677-679
9. Clarissa, M et al (1993) Evolution of the Serum amyloid A (SAA) Protein Superfamily. Genomics 19, 228-235
10. Conner JG, Eckersall PD, Wiseman A, Aitchison TC and Douglas TA.(1988) Bovine acute phase response following turpentine injection. Research in Veterinary Science 44:82-88
11. Connor, J.G. et al. (1988) . Acute Phase Response in the Dog Following Surgical Trauma. Research In Veterinary Science. 45:107-110
12. Cunnane, G. et al. (1998) . Measurement of serum amyloid A in the assessment of early inflammatory arthritis. Abstract of a presentation at the American College of Rheumatology national meeting, San Diego, California Nov. 8-12 1998
13. Eckersall PD and Conner JG. (1988) Bovine and canine acute phase proteins. Veterinary Research Communications 12:169-178
14. Eckersall PD, Saini PK and McComb C. (1996) The acute-phase response of acid-soluble glycoprotein, alpha (1) -Acid glycoprotein, ceruloplasmin, haptoglobin and C-reactive protein, in the pig. Veterinary Immunology And Immunopathology 51:377-385
15. Eurell TE, Bane DP, Hall WF & Schaeffer DJ. (1992) Serum haptoglobin concentration as an indicator of weight gain in pigs. Canadian Journal of VeterinaryResearch . 56:6-9.
16. Feussner G. et al (1994) Serum amyloid A (SAA) : a marker for liver allograft rejection in humans. The Clinical Investigator
17. Gambacorti-Passerini Carlo et al, (2000) Role of 1 Acid Glycoprotein in the In Vivo Resistance of Human BCR-ABL+Leukemic Cells to the Abl Inhibitor STI571 article Journal of the National Cancer Institute, Vol. 92, No. 20, 1641-1650
18. Godson DL, Campos M, AttahPoku SK, Redmond MJ, Cordeiro DM, Sethi MS, Harland RJ and Babiuk LA. (1996) Serum haptoglobin as an indicator of the acute phase response in bovine respiratory disease. Veterinary Immunology And Immunopathology 51:277-292
19. Godson, D L, Baca-Estrada, M E, Van Kessel, A G, et al. (1995) . Regulation of bovine acute phase responses by recombinant Interleukin-1b. Can. J. Vet. Res. 59: 249-255.
20. Godson, D L, Campos, M, Attah-Poku, S K, et al. (1996) . Serum haptoglobin as an indicator of the acute phase response in bovine respiratory disease. Vet. Immunol. Immunopath.51:277-292.
21. Gonzalez-Ramón N, Alava M A, Sarsa J A, Piñeiro M, Escartín A, Garcia-Gil A, Lampreave F, Piñeiro A. (1995) The major acute phase serum protein in pigs is homologous to human plasma kallikrein sensitive PK-120. FEBS Letters 371: 227-230.
22. González-Ramón N, Hoebe K, Alava M A, van Leengoed L, Lampreave F, Piñeiro A. (2000) Pig MAP/ITIH4 and haptoglobin are interleukin-6 dependent acute-phase plasma proteins in porcine primary cultured hepatocytes. European Journal of Biochemistry 267: 1-9.
23. Grindulus K.A. et al. (1995) Serum amyloid A protein during the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis with second line drugs. British Journal of Rheumatology 24:158-163
24. Gruys E, Toussaint MJM, Landman WJM, Tivapasi M, Chamanza R and van Veen L. (1999) Infection, inflammation and stress inhibit growth. Mechanisms and non-specific assessment of the processes by acute phase proteins. Production diseases in farm
25. Gruys E, Vanederen AM, Alsemgeest SPM, Kalsbeek HC & Wensing T. (1993) Acute-phase protein values in blood of cattle as indicator of animals with pathological processes. Archiv Fur Lebensmittel Hygiene, 44: 107-107.
26. Gruys E., Obwolo MJ & Toussaint MJM. (1994) Diagnostic significance of the major acute phase proteins in veterinary clinical chemistry: a review. Veterinary Bulletin, 64:1009-1018.
27. Hall WF, Eurell TE, Hansen RD & Herr LG. (1992) Serum haptoglobin concentration in swine naturally or experimentally infected with actinobacillus-pleuropneumoniae. Journal Of The American Veterinary Medical Association, 201:1730-1733.
28. Hartmann, A. et al. (1997) . Serum amyloid A protein is a clinically useful indicator of acute allograft rejection. Nephrol. Dial. Transplant. 12:161-166
29. Heegaard PMH, Klausen J, Nielsen JP, Gonzalez-Ramon N, Pineiro M, Lampreave F & Alava M. (1998) The porcine acute phase response to infection with Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae. Haptoglobin, C-reactive protein, major acute phase protein and serum amyloid A protein are sensitive indicators of infection. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology, 119B:365-373.
30. Hirvonen J and Pyorala S. (1998) Acute phase response in dairy cows with surgically-treated abdominal disorders. Veterinary Journal 155:53-61
31. Hirvonen J, Eklund K, Teppo Am, Huszenicza G, Kulcsar M, Saloniemi H, Pyorala S. (1999) Acute phase response in dairy cows with experimentally induced Escherichia coli mastitis Acta Veterinary Scandinavia, 40:35-46
32. Hirvonen J, Hietakorpi S, Saloniemi H. (1997) Acute phase response in emergency slaughtered dairy cows Meat Science,46:29-257
33. Hirvonen J, Pyorala S & Jousimies-Somer H. (1996) Acute phase response in heifers with experimentally induced mastitis. Journal of Dairy Research, 63:351-360.
34. Hulten C, Sandgren B, Skioldebrand E, Klingeborn B, Marhaug G, Forsberg M. (1999) The acute phase protein serum amyloid A (SAA) as an inflammatory marker in equine influenza virus infection. Acta Vet Scand. ;40(4) :323-33.
35. Hulten C, Sletten K, Foyn Bruun C, Marhaug G. (1997) The acute phase serum amyloid A protein (SAA) in the horse: isolation and characterization of three isoforms.Vet Immunol Immunopathol. Jul;57(3-4) :215-27.
36. Hulten C, Tulamo RM, Suominen MM, Burvall K, Marhaug G & Forsberg M.(1999) A non-competitive chemiluminescence enzyme immunoassay for the equine acute phase protein serum amyloid A (SAA) - a clinically useful inflammatory marker in the horse. Veterinary Immunology And Immunopathology, 68:267-281.
37. Kajikawa T, Furuta A, Onishi T, Tajima T, Sugii S. (1999) Changes in concentrations of serum amyloid A protein, alpha 1-acid glycoprotein, haptoglobin, and C-reactive protein in feline sera due to induced inflammation and surgery.Vet Immunol Immunopathol 1999 Mar
38. Kent, J. (1992) . Acute phase proteins: their use in veterinary diagnosis. Brit. Vet. J. 148: 279-282.
39. Knura S, Lipperheide C, Petersen B, Wendt M. (2000) : Impact of hygienic environment on haptoglobin concnetration in pigs. Proc. 10th International Congress on Animal Hygiene (MJM. Tielen, M.Th. Voets, eds.) Maastricht, The Netherlands, July 2-6, 2000, p. 537-541
40. Koets AP, de Schwartz N Tooten P, Kankofer M, .Broekhuijsen-Davies JM, Rutten VPMG, van Leengoed LAMG, Taverne MAM and Gruys E. (1998) Release of proinflammatory cytokines related to luteolysis and the periparturient acute phase response in prostaglandin-induced parturition in cows. Theriogenology 49, 797-812
41. Lampreave F, Gonzalez-Ramon N, Martinez-Ayensa S, Hernandez M-A, Lorenzo H-K, Garcia-Gil A and Pineiro A (1994) Characterisation of the acute phase serum protein response in pigs. Electrophoresis 15:672-676
42. Lipperheide C, Dickhöfer D, Petersen B. (2000) : Haptoglobin as a potential screening parameter in the pig production process. Proc. 10th International Congress on Animal Hygiene (M.J.M. Tielen, M.Th. Voets, eds.) Maastricht, The Netherlands, July 2-6, 2000, p. 127-132
43. Lipperheide C, Diepers N, Lampreave F, Alava M and Petersen B. (1998) Nephelometric determination of haptoglobin plasma concentrations in fattening pigs. Journal Of Veterinary Medicine Series A-Physiology Pathology Clinical Medicine 45:543-550
44. Lipperheide C, Gothe C, Petersen B, Sommer H. (1997) Haptoglobin quantifications in sera of cattle, pig and horses with the Nephelometer 100. Tierarztliche Umschau, 52:420
45. Lipperheide C, Rabe M, Knura S and Petersen B. (2000) Effects of farm hygiene on blood chemical variables in fattening pigs. Tierarztliche Umschau 55:30-36
46. Liselotte E. et al (1998) Regulation of serum amyloid A protein expression during the acute-phase response. Biochem 334 489-503
47. Liuzzi, G. et al. (1994) . The prognostic value of C-reactive protein, and serum amyloid A protein in severe unstable angina. N. Engl. J. Med. 331 (7) :417-424
48. MA Alava, N Gonzalez-Ramon, P Heegaard, S Guzylack, MJM Toussaint, C Lipperheide, F Madec, E Gruys PD Eckersall F Lampreave and A Pineiro.(1998) Pig-MAP, porcine acute phase proteins and standardisation of assays in Europe. Comparative Haematology International, 7, 208-213.
49. Martin-Tino et al (1993) Clinical relevance of serum amyloid A protein monitoring in urinary tract infection. Ann Clin Biochem 30 272-277
50. McNair, J., Elliott, C. T. and D. P. Mackie. (1995) . Development of a sensitive and specific time resolved fluorimetric immunoassay for the bovine acute phase protein haptoglobin (HP) . J. Immunol. Meth.184:199-206.
51. Morimatsu, M., Sarikaputi, M., Syuto, B., et al. (1992) . Bovine haptoglobin: single radial immunodiffusion assay of its polymeric forms and dramatic rise in acute-phase sera. Vet. Immunol.Immunopathol.33:365-372.
52. Mozes, G. et al. (1989) . Serum amyloid A: An extremely sensitive marker for intensity of tissue damage in trauma patients and indicator of immune response in various diseases. The Journal of Trauma 29 (1) :71-75
53. Murata, H. and T. Miyamoto. (1993) . Bovine haptoglobin as a possible immunomodulator in the sera of transported calves. Brit. Vet. J. 149: 277-283.
54. Pirlot A, Janssens J, Skinner JG, Godeau J-M. (1999) Quantitative determination of haptoglobin in human and bovine sera by capillary zone electrophoresis. Vet. Res. 30: 483-493
55. Ristori, G. et al. (1998) . Serum amyloid A protein is elevated in relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis. Journal of Neuroimmunology 88:9-12
56. Saini PK, Riaz M, Webert DW, Eckersall PD, Young CR, Stanker LH, Chakrabarti E and Judkins JC. (1998) Development of a simple enzyme immunoassay for blood haptoglobin concentration in cattle and its application in improving food safety. American Journal Of Veterinary Research 59:1101-1107
57. Saini, P. K. and D. W. Webert. (1991) . Application of acute phase reactants during antemortem and postmortem meat inspection. J. Amer. Vet. Med. Assoc. 198 (11) : 1898-1901.
58. Skinner JG, & Roberts L. (1991) Bovine haptoglobin response in clinically defined field conditions. Vet.Rec, 128: 147-149.
59. Skinner JG, Brown RAL & Roberts L. (1994) Haptoglobin as an indicator of infection in sheep. Vet.Rec, 134: 33-36.
60. Sukenik, S. et al. (1988) . Serum and synovial fluid levels of serum amyloid A protein and C-reactive protein in inflammatory and non-inflammatory arthritis. J.Rheumatol. 15:942-945
61. Thompson D. et al (1992) The value of acute phase protein measurement in clinical practice. Ann Clin Biochem 29 123-131
62. Toussaint MJM, Van Ederen AM and Gruys E. (1995) Implication of clinical pathology in assessment of animal health and in animal production and meat inspection. Comparative Haematology International 5:149-157
63. Warren D et al (1994) Validity of Acute Phase Proteins as markers of disease acivity. J Rheumatol (Suppl 42) 21:9-13
64. Whicher, J.T. et al. (1985) . Acute phase response of serum amyloid A protein and C-reactive protein to the common cold and influenza. J. Clin. Pathol. 38:312-316
65. Yoshino, K., Katoh, N., Takahashi, K., et al. (1992) . Purification of a protein from serum of cattle with hepatic lipidosis, and identification of the protein as haptoglobin. Amer. J. Vet. Res. 53:951-956.
66. Yoshino, K., Katoh, N., Takahashi, K., et al. (1993) . Possible involvement of protein kinase C with induction of haptoglobin in cows by treatment with dexamethasone and by starvation. Amer. J. Vet. Res. 54: 689-694.
67. Young, C. R., Eckersall, P. D., Saini, P. K., et al. (1995) . Validation of immunoassays for bovine haptoglobin. Vet. Immunol. Immunopath.49:1-13.
68. Young, C. R., Wittum, T. E., Stanker, L. H., et al. (1996) . Serum haptoglobin concentrations in a population of feedlot cattle. Amer.J.Vet.Res.57:138-141.
69. T. Orro, S. Sankaria, T. Pudas, A. Oksanen, T. Soveri, (2004) Acute phase response in reindeer after challenge with Escherichia coli endotoxin. Comparative Immunology, Microbiology & Infectious Diseases 27 (2004) 413–422. (pdf download).
70. R.C. Rigden, C.P. Carrasco, P.V. Barnett, A. Summerfield, K.C. McCullough, (2003) Innate immune responses following emergency vaccination against foot-and-mouth disease virus in pigs. Vaccine 21 (2003) 1466–1477 (pdf download)
71. Pedro G. Santiago-Cardona, Ce´sar A. Berrý´os, Francisco Ramý´rez, Jose´ E. Garcý´a-Arrara´s, (2003). Lipopolysaccharides induce intestinal serum amyloid A expression in the sea cucumber Holothuria glaberrima. Developmental and Comparative Immunology 27 (2003) 105–110 (pdf download).
72. P. David Eckersalla, John W. Gow, Christopher McComb, Barbara Bradley, Jean Rodgersa, Maxwell Murray, Peter G.E. Kennedy. (2003). Cytokines and the acute phase response in post-treatment reactive encephalopathy of Trypanosoma brucei brucei infected mice. Parasitology International 50 2001 15- 26 (pdf down load)
73. Raphael M. Ngure, P. David Eckersall, Francis W Jennings, Joanne M. Burke, Michael J Stear, Peter G. E. Kennedy, Max Murray. (1997) Mayjor acute phase response of haptoglobin and serum amyloid-P following experimental infection of mice with Trypanosoma brucei brucei. Developmental and Comparative Immunology 27 (2003) 105–110 (pdf down load)
74. Elizabeth J. Glass, Susan C. Craigmile, Anthea Springbett, Patricia M. Preston, Erol Kirvar, Gwen M. Wilkie, P. David Eckersall, F. Roger Hall, C.G. Duncan Brown. (2003) The protozoan parasite, Theileria annulata, induces a distinct acute phase protein response in cattle that is associated with pathology. International Journal for Parasitology 33 (2003) 1409–1418 (pdf download)
75. Andrew W. Taylor-Robinson (2000) Increased production of acute-phase proteins corresponds to the peak parasitaemia of primary malaria infection. Parasitology International 48 2000 297-301 (pdf download).
76. C. Hultén, E. Johansson, C. Fossum, P. Wallgren, Interleukin 6, serum amyloid A and haptoglobin as markers of treatment efficacy in pigs experimentally infected with Actinobacillus pleuropneumoniae. (2003) Veterinary Microbiology 95 (2003) 75–89. (pdf download)
77. Elaine Hatanaka, Fernanda Pereira Ribeiro, Ana Campa (2003) The acute phase protein serum amyloid A primes neutrophils FEMS Immunology and Medical Microbiology 38 (2003) 81-84 (pdf download).